Friday, December 5, 2008

December 6 by Elisabeth Ball

SCRIPTURE
Ephesians 5: 6-14

Let no one deceive you with empty words, for it is because of these things that the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not associate with them, for once you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord; walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), and try to learn what is pleasing to the Lord. Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. For it is a shame even to speak of the things that they do in secret; but when anything is exposed by the light it becomes visible, for anything that becomes visible is light. Therefore it is said, “Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give you light.”

Paul’s words are very clear: in the eyes of God there is a distinct division between good and bad, between light and darkness. Our mission as Christians is to stay in the light. It sounds simple enough, but, unfortunately, so much of the world is in the gray zone—many facets of our lives are not so obviously good or bad. Simple material desires are a case in point. We can’t always tell truth from untruth. “Empty words” frequently deceive us because our own longings fill in the hollowness. We hear what we want to hear, we see what we want to see--not necessarily what God needs us to hear and see.

I want the expensive acai juice because it has antioxidants, and isn’t it good to take care of the body God gave me? Well, maybe yes, if I can afford the juice. But I also want the pricey skin cream because it promises my wrinkles will diminish. What harm can it do to try to look younger? The cold truth is this cream will not measurably lessen my wrinkles (only my bank account). Deep down, I know this fact, so why am I a sucker for the merchandiser’s empty words? I suppose it is because I as a human am by nature gullible, yet only by learning “what is pleasing to the Lord” will I be relieved of this burden. It is difficult work, but it’s the only way out of the pit of fruitless desire. This learning, this separating the good from the bad, can take a lifetime. But when we learn to discard superficial longings (for overpriced skin cream and other such fluff) we will lighten some of our heavy load.

PRAYER
Dear Lord,
Please help me to know what is truly good in the world. Help me to stay in the light of Christ. In this way, I can discard superficial longings that are dark and unhealthy and lighten my load. Amen.

A book lover, Elisabeth Ball will read anything that's not nailed down. She enjoys spending time with her family and new cat, Crookshanks, and being a member of Riverside Presbyterian Church.

2 comments:

Riverside Presbyterian Church said...

Thank you for your words and your prayer Elisabeth. I often get sucked into the empty promises and wonder why I am disappointed. The empty words seem louder this year as stores/advertisements are trying to sell you something that might give you ease during this troubled time. Thank you for reminding us all that there is only one God whose call offers true rest and renewal.

Riverside Presbyterian Church said...

OH-that was me- Rev. Michelle-that wrote that last comment! :)